I have extensive experience working with men and women seeking support with mood issues, compulsive behaviors, substance abuse and dependence as well as individuals wanting to address the impact of traumatic or distressing life experiences.
My work with clients is strongly influenced by Brené Brown’s shame resilience theory, the research of interpersonal neurobiology from Dan Siegel and others, and family systems theory.
In our work together, you will find a safe space to be honest about your struggles. I respect the courage it takes to reach out and ask for help and in return I offer empathic, specialized, and collaborative care.
Whether you are struggling with identity issues, shame, loneliness, mood issues or pain from your past, I am committed to working with you to confront the challenges in your life while navigating the pain and joy of the healing process. We will work together to identify the thoughts, emotions, and beliefs that are keeping you stuck, and explore ways to help you live with authenticity and freedom.
- EMDR Basic Training (Part 1 & 2) — Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing is a therapeutic approach that facilitates healing from the impact of traumatic experiences.
- Interpersonal Neurobiology — a field focused on the science of the mind, brain, and relationships, offering unique contributions to the understanding of attachment, trauma, and emotion regulation.
- Substance Abuse and Dependence — seven years of clinical experience working with men and women with co-occurring disorders at the San Diego Rescue Mission.
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (level I)
MA, Marriage and Family Therapy — Bethel Seminary San Diego
BA, Psychology — Anderson University (Indiana)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Global Association for Interpersonal Neurobiology Studies (GAINS)
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
- California Association for Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- Christian Association for Psychological Studies (CAPS)
I have been married for 16 years, and we have three young children that seem to constantly keep life moving! After growing up in small-town Illinois, San Diego has become home. I love enjoying the outdoors, especially while backpacking in the high altitude scenery of the Sierra Nevada mountains.
Call Chris Cessna at 619.819.0283 ext 2